1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 whole cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups Fresh Vegetable Broth
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (More)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/4 cup whipping cream
1. Add the onion and some water at the bottom of a pot, and cook until the onion is translucent – adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.
2. Add the oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and roast for another two minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Season with cloves, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Purée the soup in a food processor. Stir in the cream if using.
5. Warm the soup before serving.